Slayer of mediocrity. Illuminator of awesomeness.
Experienced marketer. Award-winning writer. Born storyteller. Looking for cool people to work with.
People who do cool things don’t always realize how cool they are.
I learned this truth while I was directing marketing for a university engineering department. Asking faculty what they were working on was usually met with a modest variation of, “Oh, nothing interesting.”
Then, neck deep into describing the material properties of some obscure alloy, the engineers would make an offhand mention of growing synthetic bone or creating a universal translator for baby cries.
There’s no such thing as a person, company, or industry too boring to market. A marketer just needs to be skilled enough and patient enough to dig past the commonplace until they hit that gem of extraordinary.
Finding and telling cool stories about businesses like yours is my favorite thing about what I do.
Before I was a copywriter, I was a news writer, cranking out bylines in every beat our paper had. Over the course of a decade, I was both a reporter and an editor, collecting nearly two dozen awards along the way.
I loved journalism, but it’s a demanding lifestyle. After ten years I needed to find a new way to impact people with stories, one that would let me spend more time with my husband and sons. I took a job managing content for a university alumni association and discovered marketing content – telling stories not only to influence and entertain, but to persuade.
I spent the next six years as an in-house marketing director, developing stories and strategies that helped sell donations to an alumni association, enrollments to a university, and industrial building materials. I learned the ropes of copywriting and content marketing by jumping in headfirst and doing the work.
Today, I help small and medium businesses in all industries to influence people with their stories. I move you past “nothing interesting” to that gem that makes your audience take notice. I write copy that sticks in customers’ heads and help you market yourself strategically.
Tell me how I can help you get your story in front of the right people. If forms aren’t your thing, you can also email me or send me a direct message on LinkedIn or Twitter.
10 Random Things About Me
- I’m a Leo on the Greek zodiac and born in the year of the sheep on the Chinese zodiac. So I’m both a lion and a lamb.
- I live an hour’s drive from one of the biggest metro areas in the U.S., but I can see a cornfield from my office window. #midwest
- I’m a boy mom, loud and proud.
- I drink black coffee and white wine (not at the same time).
- I’m a geek. My favorite fandoms are Doctor Who and Tolkien, but I am a fringe member of the Marvel, DC, and Star Wars fandoms as well. And thanks to my geeky family, I can hold up my end of a conversation about Star Trek, Legend of Zelda, Transformers, or Mario.
- When my high school and college classmates were taking Spanish, I decided to take German. It actually came in handy later in life when I spent three years in the US office of a German company.
- I don’t run. If you see me running, you should run in the same direction, because either something scary is behind me or I heard an ice cream truck.
- I’m a dog person.
- I love musical theater. In my early teens, I briefly wanted to be a Broadway star.
- I’m notoriously clumsy, with a particular gift for falling up stairs and walking into door frames.
Juice up your marketing with easy-to-follow strategies delivered fresh to your inbox twice a month.
By signing up, you agree to receive email from Herra Communications. You’ll love it – no spam, no sales pitches, no kidding. If you don’t like it, it’s easy to unsubscribe.